Artificial turf has been rising in popularity over the years, but that doesn’t mean the choice for natural grass is cut out. There are many advantages and disadvantages to artificial turf and natural grass. This post will give you a complete comparison of both types of grass.
Natural Grass vs. Synthetic Turf
There are advantages and disadvantages to natural grass and synthetic turf, and there are certain climates, situations, and locations that make natural grass or artificial turf the winner. Here is a detailed comparison of both types of grass so that you can make an informed decision for your lawn.
- Natural grass does not retain much heat like synthetic surfaces.
- Players and athletes at the professional level prefer natural-grass fields. A recent survey found that most football players preferred natural grass.
- Natural grass fields are easy and inexpensive to repair; despite being easily damaged by poor weather conditions or heavy use. In most situations, natural grass repairs itself as the lawn grows.
- It is easy to change natural fields from one sport to another.
- During harsh winter, natural turf goes dormant by the middle of September or October, and repairs must wait until spring.
- In heavy rain, the lawn can flood and become watery.
- Fields require mowing, and regular irrigation is necessary for the lawn to remain green if the weather is not conducive.
- When heavily used, your lawn will be bare and skinned of grass, particularly in areas that experience heavy use.
- Synthetic turf does not require mowing because it doesn’t grow
- Synthetic turf makes your lawn attractive, with a deep and uniform green color
- Synthetic turf lawns can allow regular snow removal during the winter months.
- During heavy rain, synthetic turf drains quickly and is usable sooner than the natural-grass lawn.
- Damage to synthetic turf lawns can be complex and costly to repair, unlike their natural grass counterpart.
- Heat builds up quickly on synthetic turf lawn, which is a concern during warm climates.
- Synthetic turf requires owners to keep the lawn clean and disinfected.
- Synthetic turf has a high initial installation cost; however, regular mowing and fertilization will not be necessary.
Which Option Should You Choose?
From the comparison above, you will see that the long-time cost of natural grass ends up being a more expensive option. The upfront cost of synthetic turf will equal the amount paid for installing and maintaining a natural grass lawn in the next few years. With Synthetic turf, you will end up saving your wallet the cost of maintenance in the long run despite the high upfront costs of installing synthetic turf.
Contact Great American Green, Inc.
Synthetic turf is a perfect way to reduce your long-term lawn maintenance costs. If you’re interested in getting artificial turf in Atlanta, don’t hesitate to contact Great American Green, Inc. at 770-475-5537 for Atlanta synthetic turf. We have synthetic materials with a natural grass look and a feel suitable for many applications.
Canton GA 30115